home

Thursday, August 2, 2012

confess sesh.

in my other life, i was an olympic gymnast. yes, that's right. me. a balance beam, uneven bars, vault, floor exercise genius. i have always LOVED the girl's gymnastics olympic team. growing up, we had these benches at our kitchen table we used for seating. i used to pull one of them into the living room and pretend it was my balance beam and do my "routines". i had the gymnast pose down. you know, the one where they do that funny arm thing up in the air when their name is called. yeah, i was really good at that. just ask my mom. anyway, i loved watching gymnastics and have been so bummed because even with the amazing rabbit ears my kind husband got for me, we can't get the olympics on our TV. but i just wanted to give a shout out to the olympics going on right now that i can't watch, but fully support. and know, i am one with you, amazing gymnast girls. i know exactly what you're going through. 

how is life in your world? ours has been full of reasoning with a 2 year old who wants to do EXACTLY the opposite of anything we tell him, watching a precious 16 month old dance her heart out to "walk it out", trying to eat extra healthy, watching 24 (jack bauer rules), and just making sure clothes are clean, bellies are full, and dreading when official potty training will actually begin. i know, perhaps finley could possibly be a potty pro already, but he's not. and i just haven't mustered up the will to get it done. a good friend sent me a simple and very encouraging text about that... "Eh. it will happen when he's ready! ;) enjoy the summer!" and it just was really encouraging to me. obviously, he will be potty trained someday. and that day will be a sweet day. and we will all be ready for it. 

oh, it's thursday, you say. and i know you are here for another installment of confession thursday! how kind of you, indeed. let us waste no more time.

i am a hypochondriac.

yes. you heard it from me. from the mouth of the babe. or 26 year old. i have always had this reputation, you see, of occasionally over-emphasizing symptoms i am experiencing. i have never quite embraced this said quality about myself, but in my old, wise age, i think i am coming to grips with it. as a child, when i would complain of something that my much wiser mother knew wasn't really an issue, she would tell me, "go put it in your book." it was this imaginary book that my whole family knew about that was a place for me to categorize all my ailments.  anyhow, i suppose this certain quality cannot be undone. when i have knee pain, i am sure my leg is about to fall off. when i am really, really tired, i am sure i am on the brink of death. when i stub my toe, yep, the world just ended. most people who know me have probably picked up on this little quality. i'm sure it comes from the overarching personality trait of just being DRAMATIC. as i think about it, it makes some sense. most things in my life have happened a bit different than most. we had a massive, huge, crazy, huge, BLIZZARD on our wedding day. but that happens a lot, right? when i had finley, my step-dad had to have emergency colon surgery and my brother had the swine flu! i mean, what?!? right before i had audrey, jake broke his arm in 3 places and had to have surgery. i was sure that i was going to go into labor right in the waiting room. which would have really worked out fine because i was in labor for 46 hours!!!!! all i'm trying to say is, perhaps there's some reasoning behind my hypochondriac-ness. i'm just saying, there's a chance. i wouldn't change my life for anything. how many people can say several of their wedding guests got snowed in several states away from their loved ones and almost missed christmas? or that they missed 2 days of their honeymoon because the airport was shut down? praise the Lord, none of my "serious" health problems have been real problems. which is when i am grateful to just be a silly hypochondriac.

there ya have it. you are just learning so much about me through this little confession time. i wouldn't mind hearing some of y'alls, you know. 

i've been listening to lots of david crowder lately. he just never gets old. "after all" is particularly awesome right now. 

must go to bed now. i mean, before i just keel over onto my computer and die. 

love to you.

mer

5 comments:

  1. omgoodness..you are a nut! And, yes, you were a lovely, waving gymnast.
    Remember when you would tell me ALL the time that I would not be laughing when I had to take you to the emergency room for whatever that day's ailment was? Too funny bear.
    I love you honey, crazy girl! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. put it in your book, bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when I read this, I sort of sympathized with you for a minute about you being a hypochondriac and your life being dramatic causing it, and then I remembered...

    hypochondria (hī'pə-kŏn'drē-ə)
    A psychiatric disorder characterized by the conviction that one is ill or soon to become ill, often accompanied by physical symptoms, when illness is neither present nor likely. ◇ A person with hypochondria is called a hypochondriac.

    Just wondering if you're making up an illness to cover up your illness!

    Anyway, just a thought.

    Love ya!

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh! I was all about the figure skating during the Winter Olympics, even though I really don't like to skate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks, Elleah. i've never been into the winter olympics too much, but skating would have to be the best out of the options. thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete